Thanks for the feedback everyone. @Lblack, it only had a minor mistletoe infestation. Physical removal, water and plenty of sun took care of it. Fertilization has helped with other trees I have, but this one wasn’t ready for fertilizer yet. Mistletoe infestations on ponderosas seem to be more a symptom of a weak tree than anything else.
@Riversedgebonsai, thanks for the suggestion, I’ll be sure to get it into a better container following the next transplant. I don’t like sawing boxes while the tree is in it, seems like too much vibration. I’ve also put it away for winter and don’t want to pull it out again, it weighs a good 80 pounds. But I did take the following pic after doing some basic wiring over the weekend
I tried to open it up a bit, and as @bonsaitonight suggested I extended the line a bit by initiating an apex a bit above the gnarly part of the tree. Also as you pointed out one of the difficulties is many of the branches being in the same plane. I’ll lift the branches on the right up a little bit, and there are plenty of buds to prune back to. I’ll also greatly reduce the visual weight of the stub on the upper right. Will post updates in a year or two. Thanks again!