Pot identifcation

Hey guys,

I’m turning to this forum to seek help to identify the chop on a pot I own.
I have been scrolling through the database at japanesebonsaipots.net several times.
I have also contacted Ryan Bell, but have not heard anything back from him. (I could only guess that he’s busy since his blog hasn’t been updated for a while.)

Could someone put me on the right track, or identify the maker?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

I also go to @gastrognome with these questions. Can you provide a photo of the pot and any clues about its age?

I tried to depict the pot as real as I could. Sadly enough, I’m a bad photographer. I also included a picture of the clay, that might be of help.
I have no clue how old the pot is. I bought it last spring, but mostly for the trees that was in it. However, looking at it from time to time, I started seeing the beauty of it. Hence the curiousness to know the maker of the pot.

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

Thanks Stefan - I’ll post an update if I run across someone with info on the maker.

(gastrognome) #5

Hi Stefan,
I never received and email or message. Have we spoken before? If not, perhaps it went into my spam folder.
I have been busy. Like most bonsai guys(pottery is a passion…but it’s still all about the trees, right?) spring is the busiest time of year! Several articles in the works so stay tuned.
Now, your mark. This is an easy one, and it was very hard for you to identify because it’s upside down. Over half of all queries I receive from people who are familiar with the site have the orientation wrong, so it’s common enough that there is a good 20 minutes of my beginner and intermediate lectures devoted to it!
The artist is Heian Kousen, and that’s what the stamp reads. Anyone named “Heian” is from Kyoto, so that’s one piece of information about him. Your container, like most other Kousen, is a Tofukuji Homage. It’s was made most likely in the last 20 years given the size. He passed away last year.

There are a few slides from my beginner lecture on orientation. Those are the most common kanji in marks and knowing which way is up on those makes it whole lot easier!
I think I’ll add “Heian”-“平安” to the PowerPoint since everyone from Kyoto uses it…all the best potters…Heian Tofukuji, Heian Kouzan, Heian Kouso…

We have not spoken before. I just sent you an email around the beginning of march since I failed horribly to discover who made this pot. I understand that you were/are busy, no bad feelings!

Thank you for this elaborate and interesting response. Looking forward to the new blogposts.

PS: Lets keep it at “beginner” for now :smiley: