Prepartion of JBP and JRP cuttings

(mark comstock) #1

Does the length of my cutting have great importance to the outcome of my pines. I have heard many different theories. Also i am a bit confused about having too many roots on my rooted cuttings. i was reading a shared link here about to dense a root mass that could form a shelf nebari that is competely unrealistic for black pines… How would i , in the early going prevent this. This past year was my first attempt at rooting pines and i have not had years of experience to learn from my work. The photo i posted here is an 11 m0nth old jbp seedling cutting grown in connecticut. I counted 6 radials coming from just one side of the trunk(the side shown) and am terribly proud of this but now I’m learning my desire to produce dense radials might be overkill.

At 11 months is this pine too young to “remove every other root” as I read in the link

(Scott Roxburgh) #2

I really think that the issue of too many radial roots is far less prevalent in western bonsai.

I would not worry about too many roots just yet, you’ll be able to cut them off in the future if you decide it is a problem. For now, I’d be proud of the radial roots that you have there.

(Jonas Dupuich) #3

Good questions Mark. I haven’t isolated a difference that resulted from making a large or small cutting, especially when growing larger trees. It might depend on the development technique, e.g. the technique in Bonsai Today #12 vs. the one mentioned in Bonsai Today #20.

I’m with @scottroxburgh about the roots - there’s time to address the problem, when and if it occurs in the future. The main things to get right at this stage is the arrangement of the roots - spread out vs. all on one side - and the angle of the roots in relation to the trunk.

Years ago I started a number of pines with trunks that grew straight up. That limited my options for styling and led to some awkward repottings where I had to remove more roots than I wanted when I repotted the trees at an angle. Now I start all of my pines growing at an angle.

The seedlings look great, btw - looking forward to seeing them develop!