Question about seedling cuttings technique

(Lucas ) #1

I have some seeds of Picea Abies, Pinus Sylvestris and Liquidambar, and i wish apply the seedling cuttings technique used in black japanese pine explained in this blog. Is it possible to use this technique on those species? What do you recommend me? I don’t have many seeds and i want to make sure not to lose them all. Thanks!

(eric) #2

I’d guess that the Picea and the Pinus species would benefit from it. But in both cases it’s not absolutely necessary if you follow the other instructions in the BT#20 article. The more important component for radial root development is a large sacrifice branch or significant vigorous growth and a colander or double colander. I’m thinking the double colander has benefits at this point…keep going back and forth on that point.

As for the liquidambar - I’m guessing you’re wasting your time. The more logical thing to do would be to wait until it’s a bit larger, then girdle with wire just above the soil to make is swell and ground layer to start a radial root base.

(Lucas ) #3

Eric thank you very much for the information! I think I’ve understood. So in this case it would be better to plant the seeds in a tray, seedlings grow one year and then cut off each main root and then transplant them into individual pots? And then follow the techniques shown in BT # 20?
Thank you so much for answering. Greetings from Argentina.

(eric) #4

The seedling cutting technique happens 4-8 weeks after the seedlings emerge in the first year. If you’re going to do it you have to do it very young.

For trees where you are not using a seedling cutting technique I would grow them, wire etc on a normal schedule using whatever method works best for you. The BT#20 article relates specifically to Japanese Black Pines, but some of the techniques can be adapted to other conifers like Picea and other Pinus. I don’t think the techniques would be relevant to liquidambar.

(Lucas ) #5

Thank you for the explanation, i appreciate it! I will try it out this spring and see how it goes! thank you very much Eric! Greetings!