Today, I made and am re-trying Japanese maple cuttings.
I tried last year (May
-June 2019); but all 40-50 was a 100% complete fail (n00b mistake of not even covering/enclosing them, especially in dry hot SoCal).
But, this year, I have new weapons to hopefully improve my luck/success - a mini-greenhouse for humidity, and hydrogen-peroxide for fungus/mold (used at initial soil watering and the occasional foliar mist/spray).
Shojo no Mai
Also in the greenhouse are:
- Eugenia/brush-cherry (from my landscape)
- Pyracantha (from a jog)
- Firepower Nandina (from landscape)
- An almost dead Kurume Azalea at the left (it’s 4 months old, and just started dying when I removed it from greenhouse to acclimate to real-world; so I re-entered it in greenhouse).
- New Kurume Azalea cuttings in the middle (re-trying this too; as my last batch all died… seems a lot harder to root/survive than Satsuki… all my last Satsuki cuttings made it)
- Ficus (from a jog)
- 3 diff cultivars of pomegranate (Omi, Toyosho, Evergreen’s Red Dwarf)
- 10 small pots of Cotoneaster Horizontalis root-cuttings (cut off from picture at the very bottom). Started the root-cuttings May 13; so idk if they will grow/survive (I heard root-cuttings should be done in late-winter/early-spring).
Really hoping these J Maples And the Kurume make it!