Research Topic?

(Michael Jensen-Akula) #1

Our Bonsai Club (EBBS) is considering a research project. We are aware that much of bonsai care is based on tradition (albeit developed over many years) rather than ‘science’. I believe that we would be willing to spend some money, plant care, and time if a project was worthwhile. Therein lies the rub–there are so many variables and microclimates involved that i would like to spend some time getting input on what others are interested in , and consider a good a ‘doable’ project. I have no problem with a project lasting a number of years (most bonsai people seem to be like that…) but there has to be the real chance of progress at the end (even if we find that doing ‘X’ isn’t helpful)

So please respond with a science fair project that excites you!!

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

I’d be curious to see the effect of different fertilizers on growth and health. For a given variety, does applying x grams of nitrogen (or P or K) in different forms make a measurable difference?

Great idea! Particle size could be an interesting variable, and one where it would be fairly easy to avoid confounding factors.

I’m happy to help with experimental design, and eventual statistical analysis down the road. That’s my day job, though it’s usually associated with dismembering plants in the process.

Bonsai Tonight should start a peer-reviewed science journal!

(Sely) #4

Interestingly enough, I have a topic to kind of discuss. I’ve been growing and propagating corkbark and dwarf Japanese black pine for a number of years now and how I have minor notes on what they look like when I received them.
Akame
Brocade
Fuji
Gan-seki-sho yatsubusa
Hakuro
Hoko
Kotobuki
Kyokko
Kyokko yatsubusa
Katsuga
Ondea
Taihei
Wabi-Sabi yatsubusa
Yoshimura
Yamaki
Yachio

Just to name a few. I live here in Texas and the Interestingly thing is that some of the corkers tend to cork faster and the dwarfs bud sets are setting up more like regular black pine. Kind of like reverting back to species. Most dwarfs tend to have several small buds that are almost all equivalent with one larger central bud but here they have one larger central and 2 or 3 side buds and/or tinier side buds.
It even happens to nishiki gawa Japanese maple, I guess the heat can stress them out enough that they cork a little bit faster.