Root rot on Pinus sylvestris / Scots pine

Hi, I recently acquired a shohin Pinus sylvestris/Scots pine, still is in a mix of field soil and pumice. Unfortunately, I was over watering until I noticed a bad smell, Thanks to Jonas post ‘’ Diagnosing root rot in black and red pine bonsai’’ I confirm the issue by spotting twisted needles (not a lot of foliage). I will like to repot it into lava, pumice, akadama but bud needles are starting to open, is it too late to repot? can I remove all old soild? any advice?
Thanks.

It’s late for a standard repotting, but you can do a gentle repot as long as the soil ball doesn’t fall apart. You can also remove the tree from the pot and place it in a larger pot with pumice to help with the drainage for this year.

If repotting doesn’t work out, you can try watering carefully to make sure it doesn’t stay too wet this year.

1 Like

Thank you very much for replying, yes I’m gonna be extra careful with watering and rain… The smell has ceased but some sort of moss raised near the trunk, hopefully next year will be strong enough in order to remove most field soil. Will try to keep this question /topic updated.

1 Like

Quick Update! I was letting the soil to dry more than before (checking the soil properly before watering every other day or every two days) but since the tree has recovered and with temperatures rising to 21C- 70F minimum of 11C-52F the soil is drying much faster and I am back to ‘‘normal’’ watering (once a day in my case). The tree just dried one small secondary branch but now the rest is looking nice and opening candles. Thanks Jonas again for the reassurance.

1 Like