Safely thinning hinoki foliage?

This is a follow up for this thread: https://ask.bonsaitonight.com/t/variegated-hinoki/1969

Turns out the tree was severely underfertilized and has bounced back to a nice green color, though it’s still falling short of the nice deep Hinoki green:

I think there’s something going on with the roots slowing it down, so I want to repot next year into bonsai soil. More urgently though, the weather this spring in SF has been great and this tree is putting out a lot of new foliage. Unfortunately, even though it’s acting like a shimpaku (that is, turning into broccoli) I understand it can’t be pruned like a shimpaku. What’s the best way to thin out some of these areas to prevent dieback? Also, if I’m going to repot I assume I shouldn’t wire or do any major pruning right now, or would that be ok? The tree needs a lot of work but I don’t want to push it too hard.

When dealing with junipers that have become dense with healthy growth. There are three steps to consider. Pruning shoots that are not needed or are weaker!
Thinning by reducing the number of shoots. This can be done by removing alternate shoots moving outward on the branch. Pinching the soft new growth to reduce the length of the shoot. With Hinoki I not remove all the new growth on the tip of each shoot retained. Healthy foliage can be maintained by this process if carried out two or three times in a growing season.
If you are repotting with a regular amount of root work then I would delay the the pruning, thinning and pinching until the tree has recovered and is pushing more new growth. Juniper are tough but why take a chance when the tree has just recovered.
If you are looking for an excellent resource on Juniper I would refer you to the masters series " Junipers" it is available from Stone Lantern.