Selecting pot for quince

Hey! Hope everyone is doing well, I am new to this forum. I just saw the post on Bonsai Tonight Blog : Pot selection exercise- contorted quince. I have also been thinking to do the same with mine. (although my quince is not very well developed- any suggestions to improve ?).

I have attached a picture. I thought this time I would have fun with the pot selection. (Check out the feet)

3 Likes

Cute tree! What color are the flowers on your quince?

1 Like

2 Likes

Nice color, do you know the variety? The flower shape appears unusual compared to the forms i am familiar with?

No clue. I was going to ask that question next haha

The flowers are a nice color - am not sure of the variety. And the pot feet - storm trooper helmets?! (I noticed them before I saw your note :slight_smile:

As for the form of the quince, two ideas come to mind. One, you can bend the branches outward to create a more round silhouette. That’s a common form for quince and can provide some space between the many trunks.

The other option is to leave the trunks close and let the tree grow larger before they begin to fan out.

A broader silhouette will make it easier to balance the visual weight of the tree with the container and it’ll create more of a show when it’s in bloom.

Have you thought of additional ideas for the tree?

My plan was to bend the branches outward to create a more round silhouette. Also, re pot it slightly deeper. I think that would also help with the shape as it will start to fan out from the “nebari”. Hopefully, the roots are easy to work on.

That sounds like a good plan to me, and the light-colored pot should be a good fit depending on what the roots look like. It’ll be great to see the tree in the new pot with flowers!

One other thought about future development - have you thought about how you want to improve the ramification at this point?

Oh that’s an easy question. I have no clue how to improve ramifications on this one. :worried:
I was earlier thinking to cut the thicker branches in the middle of the tree, back to one of the side branch coming from it. But that’s just a wild guess idea.
When I look at the picture of this tree, my eyes get drawn to the thick branches and i want to avoid that, hence my initial thought.
Let me know what are your thoughts.

You perfectly named your two options. If you want a larger tree, you can preserve the thick branches and start cutback near the ends of these branches. If you want a smaller tree, you can cut back the thick branches to side branches. Both are good options - it’s more a matter of how big the tree will be when it’s ready for an exhibit.

Got it thanks! I ll prob keep the tree small and cut the thicker branches back. :slight_smile:

Looks like a fun project. Just to add a couple of tidbits to the conversation.

1. I do not notice any obvious thorns so would lead toward a form of Chinese quince possibly!
  2. Quince are notorious for resenting too much root work at one time, so i would take my time when repotting. This is somewhat dependant on the variety so it would be good to find out that information if you can.
  3. Refinement is typically slow with wiring two to three inches at a time for movement , allowing to grow out and then cutting back. Wire early when green and supple as they lignify quickly.
1 Like

It is very similar to the quince cultivated in Greece and its flowers are homely. If it has thick fleshy leaves with hair then it is definitely the one. Cydonia oblonga, Cydonia vulgaris or Pyrus cydonia.
It does not have deep roots but superficial that extend around the trunk. This helps to create a beautiful nebari. It loves moisture, wants frequent watering but very drained soil.
I will agree that she wants wire when the branches are still flexible because if they harden, they break very easily.

Thanks for the information! Yes the branches break easily. When i was wiring I did it a few time. OOPS !