Shore Pine Fall Work

I have a small shore pine and, with little experience with single flush pines, I understand fall is the best time to prune back. Is that correct? If so, what pruning technique would be used?

Thank you,

With single flush pines the key factor is to retain the balance of new growth at all times. If too much new growth is removed from any one area the branch or even the tree may be lost. The title of your post suggests fall work, but the question is specific to pruning!
If your intent is to retain shape and reduce the length of a branch than fall is a good time to prune back to a healthy new shoot that will provide a suitable new leader for the branch. It is important to consider the direction of the new shoot.
This assumes that there are enough new healthy shoots on the branch to ensure survival. I would choose to leave four or five if possible.
In the case where very few shoots or weak shoots are present in the interior, then i would consider allowing the tree to grow out for two or three years before cutting back too much! Vigorous healthy trees respond better to pruning and balancing techniques.
Fall work on shore pines also includes removal of old needles and energy balancing of new needles in the strong areas, plus bud and shoot selection/ reduction where needed.
If you could post a picture of the tree in its present condition a more specific response may be possible.

Thank you Frank. The tree is small, about 10 inches high.

I must admit that it does not look like the shore pine i am used to dealing with. The new buds look more like JBP to me, as well as the bark and needle length/ color.
At this time i would likely remove the old needles and keep all the new needles and shoots.
How sure are you of the identification?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I could stand to be corrected on the identification, however it was sold to me as a Shore Pine by a bonsai nursery. It did not put out candles this year, only the single flush.

Perhaps you could provide a little extra information. When did you acquire the tree? What work have you done since acquiring the tree? Did the tree change several climatic zones when acquired?
It would also help to be aware of your location and climate for reference purposes.
It is possible that the root structure is minimal below the soil and the tree is struggling! The appearance of the surface roots seems to indicate it was kept in a smaller container and not repotted very often, resulting in exposed roots.