Hi, I just wanted to share some progress on seedlings I started this year around January. All thanks to Jonas’s inspiration, it’s been a great start to my Bonsai journey!
I started seeds indoors, under grow lights, following the advice here about seedling cuttings:
It was touch and go what with damping off and humidity issues, but eventually, I got a good number of successful cuttings. It was of the order of 200 seeds, 150 germinated, 100 made it to cuttings, and I’ve now got about 60 healthy plants.
Here are a few as they are this Autumn. Most got really long needles in their first flush. Many then got a second flush, with shorter needles. Many of them have a lot of shoots really low down, some 7 or 8, these have stayed quite squat. Some got taller, and have large buds low down, so there’s quite a lot of variation.
I wired a couple early on after the first flush. This provoked a strong fattening response:
I’m using liquid feed without Nitrogen, and the rooting tells me I will be repotting in Spring: