Soybean meal for fertilizer

(Yaroslav) #1

Hello. Does anyone have experience with organic cake-based fertilizers? I was interested in this topic, the Japanese tend to use rapeseed meal, but we find it harder to find, I found soybean meal. Does it make sense to use it as a slow fertilizer?

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

I’ve tried several Japanese brands, including Tamahi, Omakase, and Biogold. All work well, but the animals got to the Tamahi quickly - they seem less interested in the Omakase and Biogold.

Many organic fertilizers provide similar benefits, whether they come in cake form or not. Fish emulsion and cottonseed meal are other good options.

(Frank Corrigan) #3

Some agricultural research has been done that indicates soybean meal can negatively affect germination rates and there are report that it is particularily high in soluable salts that can affect some species in normal growth patterns.
I have had good results with organic fertilizer using Neem meal as a base component, combined with fish fert, bone meal and blood meal. This may be available in your area, it is widely used in India.

(Yaroslav) #4

I read that soybean meal is similar to cottonseed meal. I will try, thank you.

(Yaroslav) #5

@bonsaitonight @Riversedgebonsai
I decided to use soybean meal in tea bags. Recently noticed that the side of the tea bag that is in contact with the soil is covered with mold. Is this the norm? Does it harm trees?

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

Not sure what is normal as I haven’t used soybean meal before, but I wouldn’t expect the mold to be harmful for the trees. I do wonder if the tree is staying too wet. As long as the watering is appropriate, I wouldn’t expect trouble from the mold.

If you could post a photo it might help us gauge the situation.

(Yaroslav) #7

Ok, I’ll do it in the morning (GTM+3).

(Yaroslav) #8

@bonsaitonight

EDIT: photos in high resolution: https://imgur.com/a/IrpAoFP

This paper tea bags, (I recently bought from polyester). On some bags some parts of soil stuck (expanded clay, zeolite and pine bark). As you can see, a lot of different fungus: white as a spider web, black, blue. Perhaps my mistake was that I had deepened them halfway into the soil and the bottom of the bag remained wet. There was also a smell of rotting, but I think it’s normal.

(Jonas Dupuich) #9

That does look like fungus - the question is whether or not it’s beneficial fungus. It could be really helpful for the trees. It’s worth monitoring to see how the trees respond to the fertilizer. Thanks for sharing the photo.

(Yaroslav) #10

@bonsaitonight
Perhaps the reason is that I have deepened a fertilizer into the soil?

(Jonas Dupuich) #11

Placing the fertilizer bag into the soil is a good thing. The fungus could be in the soil, in the fertilizer, or in the air or water.

(Yaroslav) #12

@bonsaitonight
The mold almost disappeared by itself, but other guys appeared: white long eggs about 1.5 mm and larvae of a little more length. As I understand it’s a flies, the main thing that it wasn’t pests.

(Yaroslav) #13

Decided to take a photo. I understand they lay eggs at night. Size about 1 mm.