Staining rock in bonsai

I would like to darken and redden the white limestone rock in this display of arid succulents. Anyone ever done this in a permanent non toxic way?image

Usually altering the color of a stone is frowned on by purists. That said I totally understand the need here. Try soaking it in coffee with the grounds added over the surface of the stone. It wont be permanent but it will last long enough to get a colony of other staining organisms going.

I would give some consideration to the PH of limestone and its possible affect over time for the plants in the container. Would not be my choice even if the color was more suitable. Just a thought.

Well I chose to go with red and yellow food color. I dropped on and then gave a misting of water. It’s pretty intense right now but I think k a few weeks in the sun and rain ought to tone it down a lot. I’ll post a picture then. It looks pretty artificial now but I’m hoping for the best. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

1 Like

you might consider concrete stain, acid based or water based.

I’m currently experimenting with a water base acrylic paint that’s available in large hobby stores. There are tons of colors and mixing colors is as easy as mixing small amounts of epoxy.
Because I’m trying to color the broken edges of pieces of slate, I actually need to mix the colors to come close to matching the surface colors.
I saw a technique called “dry brushing”. It involves using very small brushes (like artist’s brushes) and after dipping the brush into the paint, wiping almost all the paint off the tip of the brush with a rag prior to applying the paint to the object. It’s somewhat tedious but, at least in my hands, allows me to apply minute amounts of paint over the surface, leaving very small streaks that are similar to veins in stone.
Granted, I’m trusting there is not a toxicity problem with this paint, but, they do use it in pre-schools. Am also testing as to plant toxicity with seedlings and water runoff with rain.
Is the use of paint on stone frowned on just for suiseki or for all stone?

Some plants do better with High pH, I would expect those pictured to tolerate it. Many Junipers do also even thought most are not desert species.
You could say the same thing for too much acid. consider azaleas and other acid loving plants. And I know some people use an acidic water soluble fertilizer without a second thought and without serious consequences.