Sub-Alpine Fir Yamadori

(Frank Corrigan) #1

Here are two sub-alpine fir I collected in 2017. The first is a triple trunk that I collected late spring and the other one that i collected in the fall is a double trunk. I am interested to learn more about theses trees in the years ahead. Both have responded well to collection so far and are showing signs of new growth and back budding is starting to occur. More so on the one collected earlier. They have been place in pure pumice in grow boxes built to fit the remaining roots after bare rooting upon collection. Both trees were firmly fastened in the box to limit strain on new feeder roots. Looking forward to the coming fall and winter for rough first styling if they continue to do well.

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Fun trees! Sub-alpine fir is a great variety but am not sure how they grow where I live.

(Frank Corrigan) #3

I would expect not very well. They need a fairly lengthy dormancy period. Perhaps for a short vacation in the sun,sand,wine country:sunglasses:

Beautiful trees Frank. Will look forward to hearing about your progression with them.
Bob

(Frank Corrigan) #5

Thanks, i will be beginning some basic removal of unwanted branches in the next month or so on the tree that was collected last spring. The roots have responded very well and the new foliage is strong this spring. The excess branching and foliage is no longer needed to ensure recovery from collection. This is the triple trunk that is about to become a twin trunk in design. The other tree was collected last fall and i will let it recover at least until this fall, possibly longer before removing any branches or foliage.

(Frank Corrigan) #6

This update will show the progress

over the past 16 months. I have removed and cleaned as foliage died or was determined to be no longer needed. The tree was kept in partial shade, well watered and given preventative treatment for fungal issues that are common to sub-alpine fir. I have been observing the tree and checking for signs that recovery from collection and strengthening is occurring. One of the key signs is the profusion of backbudding on the trunks and bare areas of the branches. Vibrancy of the foliage is another key indicator. Exploring the grow box and discovering plenty of white tipped roots is another favourable indicator.
The picture will hopefully be clear enough to show the numerous brown buds that indicate the tree is now ready to begin styling and prepared to take off in new growth this coming spring.
The other sub alpine fir that was collected in the fall has yet to show the back buds, however it is healthy and progressing. I expect that it will show similar progress after one more growing season to recover. The difference from early spring collection to later fall collection is very evident. Both work but the early spring collection affords the plant a faster recovery period as it is just entering a growth cycle rather than entering a dormancy.