Surinam cherry. Chinese Elm. Willow leaf ficus

I would like to share a few trees with you all for a critic if you would.they all need a trim to shape them back up but with time a consideration what can I get away with. I am in zone 9-b thinking of showing this tree on July 27 local gathering nothing formal at all just a local club cook out. Never shown any tree before and really no nothing about it. Please feel free to beat it up. I need to know.

2 Likes

I like the Chinese elm , a bit of a trim to remove upward shoots and those hanging downward. A bit of wire to place branches with a bit different angles where it is young enough to do that.
Tree shows nice potential.
Have fun.

2 Likes

Frank thank for your suggestions and time always very much appreciated. The cherry can it be defoliated and wired this time of year. The growth is very strong.

I have not worked with Cherry but generally deciduous can be wired if in leaf. I take more care with deciduous wiring as the bark seems to bruise and damage easily compared to conifers.
I rarely use complete defoliation as a technique, instead i prefer to remove larger leaves and reduce size of some for thinning purposes. Perhaps someone else can contribute more in this area, that has worked with this particular species.

1 Like

Frank thank you again for taking the time. As always your knowledge and opinion are greatly appreciated

Depending on the exhibit, any of these trees could be displayed with some clean up. I’d start by reducing the shoots that extend beyond the silhouette you have in mind for the tree. Then I’d remove shoots that grow downward below the horizontal branches. Finally, I’d check the density of the tree from top to bottom and thin the foliage in crowded areas.

Beyond that, I’d add a fresh layer of topsoil so the surface of the soil is clean. I’d also clean the pots with a light coating of oil (rub off as much as you can of it to keep the sheen down).

I know the trimming is easier said than done, so feel to ask questions about how to do any of this.

2 Likes

Thank you Jonas for your advice I follow this forum like a religion and read everything I can find. I will most definitely post pics after clean up. I still do not feel any of my trees are were they need to be but I keep them alive and try to keep them thriving for most. Shows to me are after thoughts I joined a club and they would like participation which means showing them. Hope to have some great trees some day. Thank you again and keep up the good work. Much respect and thanks to you all.

Thanks Phil. One nice thing about shows is that they encourage us to focus on what we can do to improve the way our trees look - the extra attention can yield great results!

1 Like

Surinam Cherry is an evergreen. It is a Eugenia. Nice shrub and and the fruit is tasty. Planted one several years ago grown from seed. It is a strong grower as Phil mentioned.

1 Like