Taking pictures

(bflin) #1

Hello Bonsai Tonight,

What is a good background for picture taking, of trees and flowers… i.e. black drop cloth, projector screens, etc?

Thank you!

(Frank Corrigan) #2

I will contribute a bit of information and leave others to fill in their preferences. The two back drops i have been advised to try are grey and black. I prefer the black and use a medium nap velour or velvet cloth as a backdrop.
Here is a sample of a picture taken with my backdrop. It is one of my collected hemlocks.

(Jonas Dupuich) #3

The main thing with backgrounds is for them to be clean, as in not busy. White, grey and black can all work well depending on the goals of the photo. Black is great as there are no shadows to work with. Projector screens can reflect too much light so paper or vinyl - or fabric - may be easier to work with.

(Bob Conroy) #4

You can get large cardboard sheets inn just about any color at an art supply store. They are stiff enough to stand alone (u don’t need much of a stand), for a few bucks apiece. it is best to store flat as they will warp if left leaning and it gets humid. I cannot recommend any color, but sticking to B&W and shades of grey should cover most situations.

(Frank Corrigan) #5

Size should be considered carefully. The best pictures leave some room behind the subject and are taken from some distance away. This contributes to requiring a fairly large backdrop for most medium to larger Bonsai.
The size that i have found effective is 58 inches wide and 72 inches long. With fabric, simply roll up on a large dowel for storage. I hang mine from a dowel and put a dowel through the bottom to hang straight. My wife sewed a sleeve by folding over the top and bottom of the fabric.
Please note that i do not work with real large Bonsai. Nothing over 40 inches including the pot.
Hope these extra details help anyone considering a backdrop. They do make a big difference in the quality of pictures.

(Michael Gemus) #6

I would suggest doing a little reading or YouTube watching on photography as well. Depending on your camera and its ability to let you change the settings manually will have great effect on your pictures as well. When I first got into photography a mentor drilled three things into my head for better pictures.

1. Lighting
  2. Composition
  3. Use a tripod

Good luck