The ten year plan...neagari cascade trident maple


(Darlene ) #1

Thanks once again Jonas @bonsaitonight for your help and direction. Finally we had above freezing night temps and my material for the project was able to get shipped out.

Preparing the pot

Removed the rectangular end off the flex spout to allow a better fit in the pot.

Then I added the holes in correlation to the holes found in the sides of the pot.

Then wired them up…

Filled the pot with substrate and moved substrate away from holes to allow wire to fit through securing it to the pot.

With that done…I added just a little substrate to the flex spout then filled up to the point where the existing roots would come with extra large pumice. (FOUND AT BONSAI TONIGHT STORE)

Then I secured the trident whip to the flex spout with wire,tubing and inner tube rubber for a bicycle tire.

My inspiration…

Now…patience…Honestly the hardest part was assembling. Now to offer horticultural care for the next ten years…I may possibly air layer or chop the trident in a few years after allowing roots to run along with the foliage…slight pruning but not in the direction of cascade until I remove the upper section I am thinking.

I may need to cut at a lower branch…and hope it encourages back budding I can use to create my lower cascade from those forming branches.

Thanks again Jonas…for your help with everything and the guidance. Scott Lee who is on Facebook was a huge help as well…and where my trident material came from. I chose a whip…for more mature roots to hope to develop a similar pattern of roots as my inspirational photo I shared.


(Frank Corrigan) #2

Nice job and attention to detail. Starting with the whip was a great choice. I bet you had fun slowly working the extra large pumice between the existing roots.


(Darlene ) #3

Thanks Frank,it went together rather smoothly.

Actually Frank @Riversedgebonsai I placed the extra large pumice in the lower section of the flex spout…and large where the roots were. Jonas and I both agreed the top section of the tree I admire had more straight roots. Have intentions of doing a second one with just large pumice tomorrow.


(Frank Corrigan) #4

Actually i had this weird thought while thinking through your steps. The key will be to get pumice placed between the existing roots. I find that is usually easier between the thicker roots , not so much the fine ones. So what if the flex tube was sliced in half lengthwise. The roots were laid in gently with pumice between them and the two pieces tied back together and gently, ever so gently bent to shape. Using some finally chopped wet spaghnum with the large pumice will help protect the roots when bending. Then smaller pieces worked with chopstick to fill.
I was trying to figure out how to avoid bunching the roots together lower down with the longer tube. Usually i assemble small sections from the bottom up.


(Darlene ) #5

Frank…good thought process. But my hand slipped in to tube and was able to guide the roots down to where the extra large pumice started…then with the chopstick…I was easily able to manipulate them to a degree moving the large pumice in and around the tube. separating and dividing the roots to a degree. Maybe if ones hand was not small enough to slip in…I could see that as another option. Jonas never mentioned moss. I followed his direction with the blog he shared.


(Frank Corrigan) #6

The wet moss was my idea if rearranging the shape after rejoining the tube. Not part of any directions otherwise. I thought it might stop the pumice from abraiding the roots when shifting them around a bit.
I know Jonas has had excellent success with his process i have seen the results in person.
I look forward to your updates.