Torulosa Juniper Kaizuka

Fellow artist, has anyone worked with the Torulosa? I hear they make great material.

(Frank Corrigan) #2

Hollywood Juniper? ( common name) The leggy scale foliage is not my favorite type for Bonsai.

How much of the foilage can I safely remove for a good recovery? If I remove most of the top branches with exception to one sacrificing branch, will the energy be directed to lower branch growth And still contribute to trunk development?

(Frank Corrigan) #6

The general guideline i follow is removal of no more than 30% of the foliage at one time. The energy will be distributed towards the remaining foliage and trunk growth. Juniper are not as apically dominant as pines for example and will respond to sacrifice branches to thicken specific areas.
As a matter of practice it is a good idea to wire for change of direction or movement as early on as possible! Also consider wiring a branch to change the movement or direction before jinning if that suits the design.

Thanks for the tips. The branches that would eventually become part of the design are not really thick enough to wire , they are smaller than pencil/chopstick girth?