Tree's budding/leafing too early

(Greg Prenatt) #1

Hello Jonas, I live in Buffalo, NY, my wintering technique is an unheated closed garage with minimal light, no concerns there.

I did recently purchase a maple and a jap. hornbeam from down south, they are starting to leaf out, I have them in my basement with some UV lamps on for 4 hours a day. In 2 weeks I will be able to bring these outside during the day.

Whats my best option for me to not kill these trees? My thought was adding a heater in my garage (I have one today) to keep the garage around 50 degree’s for the next 2 weeks.

Any suggestions? Thank you kindly!

Greg

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

(Caveat: winter is mild where I live so my response is based on the experience of friends and colleagues in colder regions.)

The main thing will be to keep the trees above freezing to protect the foliage. I don’t know that they need to be at 50 degrees.

If you get any warm days in the next few weeks, you can take the trees outside during the day and take them in at night to avoid cold nighttime temps.

If possible, I’d check with local bonsai enthusiasts to learn how they approach spring in Buffalo. Bill Valavanis is another great resource who’s nearby in Rochester.

(Frank Corrigan) #3

I live in a more temperate region that experiences four seasons. We protect trees that bud out early from frost. I have a koreanhornbeam that leafed out early this year. I left it inside too long while working on others. Basically forgot i had stuck it in the corner of the workshop. So now, i just move it in at night if the temperature is expected to dip near freezing. I reccomend moving your plant out during the day gradually to harden it off but keep in the unheated garage overnight until the risk of frost is gone.

(Greg Prenatt) #4

Thanks Frank, I have a space heater ready to go but I think I am through the worst of it. Weather is breaking over the next 7-10 days so hopefully Ill have them outside very soon.

(Greg Prenatt) #5

And thank you Jonas! I was just at the garden show in Rochester yesterday and was asking Allan about this, they have pushed out a few tree’s already so I felt better seeing tree’s well past where mine are at. Next time I’ll wait before buying tree’s from another climate zone so close to spring, patience is not one of my strong suits.

(Frank Corrigan) #6

Bonsai will help develop patience for sure.