Two Flush Vs One Flush questions

(Jeremiah Lee ) #1

I think it’s important for us in the US to divide pines up into two categories in our minds-One Flush and Two Flush pines. Talking One Flush vs Two Flush, I mean One Flush of growth vs Two Flushes of growth per year. Using traditional Japanese species of trees-Black Pine and Red Pine would be 2 Flush and White Pine would be 1 Flush. If you de-candle a tree in summer and it shoots out new growth after cutting the candles off, then it’s a 2 flush pine. If we de-candled a White Pine it would not throw out a second set of buds during the year and likely get very weak or die.

I think this is important to note because we are still figuring out our Native Pines here in the US and the correct way to reduce needle size, promote interior budding, keep them healthy, etc. There are still several native pines out there that deserve more of our attention. I think it’s just a matter of time before we figure out some new native pines to collect and work on. I have a few questions related to this:

1. Am I using the correct term, is there a better word/term than Flush?

2. Do all pines fall into the category of either one flush or two flush?

3. Do all high mountain pines tend to be one flush and all two flush tend to grown naturally at lower elevation?

-White Pine and Ponderosa are from the High Mountains and one flush, while Black and Monterey Pine are Coastal growers and two flush.

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Interesting. Pines commonly produce a single flush of growth when left alone, but some varieties have the ability to produce a second flush when pressured into it or when they are particularly vigorous.

Other varieties typically can’t push a second set of growth.

Weather and climate also have a big effect on when and how much growth pines can produce. I wouldn’t expect a black pine, for example, to behave the same way in Hawaii that it does in Maine.

It seems like what we’re getting at is whether or not we can decandle a variety - is that right?

I’ll be curious to hear if these are commonly used terms or if there are existing ways to divide the two groups of pines.

(Neli Stoyanova) #3

Taiga was doing experiments on cutting back white pine for back budding. Some places he got back budding some not. But overall good results. I have pictures if you want to see it.

(Susan) #4

Ryan Neil explains this very well on YouTube look for Japanese Black, Red and White Pine care. Well worth watching. And the term one flush and two flush is correct. I hope you find it as informative as I did.
Cheers

(Xavier De Lapeyre) #5

I think the term one flush and multiflush would be more correct.
Some tropical species in optimal condition can produce more than 2.
I am thinking of loblolly and slash pines for instance.

(Susan) #6

How any flushes of growth does a Slash Pine produce during a grwing season?

(Xavier De Lapeyre) #7

For slash pine it may have 2 (droughty growing season) to 3 (in good growing season rainfall year) or 4 (rarely) flushes/year. STRESS ON "MAY HAVE"
It depends on lots of external factors ( temperature, water and fertilizing being on top of the deciding factors )

I have only seen up to 3 flush per year in my case. Will try to hit the 4 flush per year at one point if I can,
We had a first flush in Oct/Nov ( early summer ) and we are already having a second flush right now on the stronger specimens (since early january ) the weaker ones are just now starting to give signs of a second flush.

(Susan) #8

I don’t have any experience with Slash Pines. But from what you are saying average seasonal growth is two flushes. On good seasons possibly three and on rare occassions four.
Japanese Black Pines on average have two flushes. However occasionally after the first flush, if the tree is healthy and has enough energy a Spring bud can extend to produce a second flush in Spring. And still produce another bud after decandling later in the season. So would you agree that a Japanese Black Pine has two flushes. Or would you classify it as being a Multiple flush Pine?
As I understand Pines they are either single flush, or duel flush and decadling is treated according to the average growth of the tree in question.
Cheers

I recently acquired a long leaf pine, similar to the loblolly. Are the loblolly and long leaf single flush? Also, do I let the Terminal bud grow or cut the candle in June?

(Frank Corrigan) #10

I believe it is more appropriate to use the terminology, single flush or multiple flush. This is based on the experience of having JBP flush three times when given optimum growing conditions and only two when experiencing average growing conditions. Thus it would be incorrect to label JBP as two flush.