Unhealthy juniper winter help

Hi all I went to a nursery and I found this juniper. The seller didn’t want to sell as it wasn’t at full health but I asked him if I could get for cheap and he agreed. So I got this for really cheap and I’m super excited to work on it. However first step is getting back it’s vigour. And I’m here to ask what the best thing to do is. The soil smells like algae and there algae in the bark. It’s potted in what looks like pure Akadama and I’m little afraid there’s root rot?
I keep it covered in a unheated green house.
What do you guys think?

1 Like

I’d thin out the old foliage and plan to repot in spring on the normal schedule. You can water carefully (letting the tree dry out 50-70% between waterings) in the meantime.

The foliage isn’t all good, but there’s plenty of good foliage. If you see changes after you clean the tree up you’ll have a better idea of what’s going on.

1 Like

Thanks Jonas I’ll try that. Would that be only the dead browned of foliage or also live but weak interior and exterior foliage? And should I do anything about the algae or trunk? And regarding watering I’m not watering at all as the soil is staying moist. But I’m keeping a close eye on it. Also how important is light in the instance and this time of year? UK is very grey wet at this time of year but I think my greenhouse might a liitle bit darker than having it under open sky however I’m just trying to get keep it dry atm?

Yes, dead/brown/weak interior foliage can be removed. Up to you about the algae (it would look better without it and you’ll know if you’re overwatering if it returns). As for the light, sun is best as it will be easier for the tree to stay healthy with some light, but it’s OK if it’s not available.

1 Like