Update and asking for help on 1 y/o from seeds jap. Black Pine

Hello everyone.

I would like to share my hopefully future bonsai plants. I’ve grown them from seeds and now they are 1 y/o. I have no idea what to do next, so I just repot them, because they were too big and too much for the small nursery pot.
I would appreciate your opinions very much and look for further instructions :slight_smile:

Here I kpe the roots the same (didn’t cut anything) I saw some guides and videos on YouTube, experienced people cutting the roots with no mercy. I was afraid so I kept them.

Thank you so much for your time. I hope you enjoy with these Fotos. Stay safe and have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Mo

The seedlings will begin to grow quickly from this point on. I would plant them individually in small pots say 4-5 inch diameter or 8-10 cm diameter. Pines like to have dry feet, if possible try to plant them in a substrate that drains very well and does not stay wet for long periods of time.
As you move forward, it will be a good idea to shorten the long tap root and encourage side shoots when you do repot! it can be done slowly over time as you get used to pruning and root care. You can begin to wire the seedlings for movement, my suggestion would be to do so when they are approximately 2-3 years old and reaching 25-35 cm in height. This makes it very easy to begin shaping the trunk.
If you search the archives on this website their are excellent articles on pine development to assist your journey.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply and really 4och informations.
I will do exact what you saying. The soil is a some brand that suppose to be for bonsai plants and has a good drainage character. I don’t really know much about that, could probably mix it with Volcan granulated or somthing as I read and see from people on the internet.
So now I would keep a good eye on watering, not too much. And my next move should be next year or whenn they are bigger I would repot them.

Am really excited and actually happy that I found a place where I can share my experience :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Mo

1 Like

So it’s almost 2-3 weeks since I repotted the JBP…i cut about 1/3 of the roots.
Some are doing probably well and others are dying (or already dead) and I’m not sure what am I doing wrong, thinking about too much watering or poor drainage (I mixed normal plants soil or cactus soil with red lava rock soil 1:1). Im trying to water it every 2-3 days. Soil looks wet on the top, not dry.
Kinda disappointed and confused about what’s going on.
I’m a patient man, but would love to see progress and that beautiful feeling, that’s nothing missing.

Here are some pictures of the sick and healthy ones.

I would rate this as healthy

Probably dead

I would really be thankful for some suggestions and support.
Also Ive been looking around here, gathering information as much as I can. But can’t much find topics for JBP same as the my age 1-1,5 y/O.

Sorry for my long massage. And thank you.

The likely cause is drying out. When the roots are cut the uptake is restricted! That coupled with the coarser, free draining mix would likely require watering daily, if not twice a day initially! The other cause might be the amount of roots cut or if they were not cut cleanly but crushed by dull scissors. they would not heal the same, nor take up water and nutrients as easily!

Sorry to hear it Mo! Repotting pines when it’s warm out is tricky. As Frank noted, the work has to be done well and done quickly this time of year as the tree has great need of it’s roots to help with the heat. The normal repotting time would be at the end of winter or early spring.

From here on out, keeping the trees misted, not watering too much or too little (it doesn’t need water if the soil is still wet), and keeping them out of the afternoon sun until they show signs of growth will help them recover.

I don’t know if I’ve written about repotting pines at the exact stage yours are in, but it’s similar to this: https://bonsaitonight.com/2013/03/26/repotting-1-year-old-black-pine-seedlings/