When to start spring fertilization?

(Samuel Tan) #1

Hi all,

I live in San Francisco, and the daytime peak temperatures are already getting into the 60’s now in late January. Would it be advisable to start fertilizing my trees right now? Are there any drawbacks from starting fertilization a little too early?

Also, is it true that I should wait at least 4 weeks after repotting a tree to start fertilizing it?

Thanks!
Sam

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

I tend to wait the 4 weeks, but I haven’t seen a good study that showed root growth interrupted by feeding sooner. And yes, it’s OK to start feeding now.

The big question is when to feed based on what kind of fertilizer (organic or inorganic) is being used based on the desired feeding regimen.

(Samuel Tan) #3

I tend to wait the 4 weeks, but I haven’t seen a good study that showed root growth interrupted by feeding sooner. And yes, it’s OK to start feeding now.

Great, I will start making preparations then.

The big question is when to feed based on what kind of fertilizer (organic or inorganic) is being used based on the desired feeding regimen.

I plan on using a slow-release organic fertilizer (Biogold original) in teabags. I heard that I should apply a dose fertilizer every 4-8 weeks, depending on how heavily I want to fertilize my tree.

Does that sound approximately correct, or are there any special considerations I should account for since I live in the Bay Area?

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

Sounds like a good feeding regimen to me.