Winter care for White,Red and Black pines

(Hannes) #1

Hallo,I’m from South Africa and have same questions about pines.When is the best time to do major restyling on white pines?Some people said Autumn…Lastly can Japanese White,Red and Black pines handle frost say -15 C?

Thanks Hannes

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Autumn and early spring are good times to do major work on white pines. If major work is done in autumn, the tree will need to be protected from hard freezes during winter.

White pines are hardier than red or black pines, black pines being the least hardy of the three. I’d want to protect trees if it gets down to -15C.

(Hannes) #3

Hallo Jonas,Thanks for your reply.Here in South Africa its hard to get info on pines because almost everyone here aren’t interested in pines.The info I can get on the internet are a lot but its difficult to compere it to our climate here.I did major work on my white pine now in autumn and I placed it in a place out of frost.Can the tree be re potted in spring?The soil that its planted in now are not draining very well so I think its a good idea to get rid of the old soil.

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

If the drainage is poor, it’s a good idea to repot in spring. What kind of soil is the tree in now?

During repotting, I’d aim to replace some, but not all, of the old soil as white pines can’t be bare-rooted.

(Hannes) #5

I bought 2 white pines from a guy and they are planted in a type of clay I’m not 100% sure what it is.Its very bad soil and I think it must be removed as much as possible.I wanted to removing all of it without cutting the roots.Then work some of the microhyza of the old soil in with the new close to the roots.

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

Pines are commonly grown in clay. It’s fine for landscape material but doesn’t work as well for container plants.

I usually aim to replace between 1/4 - 1/2 of the old soil depending on the health of the tree and the number of roots affected.

(Hannes) #7

okay thanks i will try it in spring depending on the trees health.

(Hannes) #8

I protect my black pines from frost but see that there soil freeze at night.Will they be okay or must I take them indoors?

(Jonas Dupuich) #9

A healthy tree with good roots can usually handle a few degrees below freezing at night. If the temps stay below freezing for more than a day or two or the temperatures drop into the lower 20s F I’d want to protect the trees.

Careful watering in winter will help trees handle the cold. Letting trees get to dry or keeping them too wet can lead to root damage.

(Hannes) #10

Okay,I’ve moved some off my more develop trees into my garage and left some of the smaller 5 year old seedling under the cold frame to test.Thanks for your reply.