Wiring Japanese Maples

(dd1) #1

Jonas:

Your idea to have Mr. Nomoto field questions from across America was great.

Though without a follow up question I am a bit uncertain.

He advised me to prune when there are leaves on the tree.

However, it seems many prune when the tree is still dormant…and then wiring when the cleanup work and strategic cutting back, lets call it, are completed…when the leaves are still off the tree.

What am I missing.

When does Mr. Nomoto wire Maples?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Nomoto gave me some advice for my maples when he was in town last week that might be relevant. The idea is to work on maples when they’re growing, not when they are dormant. He recommended making larger cuts earlier in the year as that’s when maples grow most vigorously and heal fastest. Smaller cuts can be made anytime the tree is active as it takes less time for the tree to heal smaller wounds.

Likewise for wiring. Wiring in winter may be possible but the tree needs to be protected from frost damage and the branches won’t begin to set well until the tree comes out of dormancy.

The main wiring work on maples is typically on new shoots. These are wired in spring while they are still relatively soft and supple. These branches tend to set quickly.

(James Stimmel) #3

One can do the major pruning of large branches during dormancy, but make sure to seal the wounds. I was taught to wire Maples and other deciduous trees in the spring when the buds begin to move, you have to be very cautious, as the branches are very brittle. At this same time of year, minor pruning is done, but again, be sure to seal the wounds. Once the tree is wired and the tree leafs out, keep a close eye on the wire, its begins to bite rather quickly. Wire can remain on a more mature branch longer vs a very young branch.